14 May 2010

Short-Sighted in 3D

Washington Post reports in James Cameron: 3-D will become standard format:
"Avatar" director James Cameron said Thursday that 3-D will replace 2-D as the standard, mainstream format for film, television and online content in less than 25 years.

Viewers will soon not only enjoy films in 3-D theaters but all forms of entertainment, including sports and music shows on TVs and laptops, Cameron said at a technology forum in Seoul.
I personally actually prefer 2-D viewing, because for me the abstraction of human experience into the 2-D format transports me in such a way that I can "lose myself" in what's happening on the screen (on a good day, with a good flick). 3-D does not allow me to lose myself; instead it puts me into the picture.

Take that for whatever it's worth (or not), since I also love B&W movies, and to this day I still miss the hiss and pop of a needle on vinyl and the acoustic sound of musicians all sitting in one recording studio playing together in a room at the same time.

However, looking at the idea of a mass market for 3-D viewing as a practical matter, I just don't see this happening ... because of the glasses that one must wear to watch a 3-D movie or video. And for those who already wear glasses, the glasses-over-the-glasses.

Sorry, I just cannot see that millions of us would be keeping multiple pairs of 3D glasses in a home entertainment center drawer, passing them out to our guest, all of us sitting around in silly specs to watch every TV show or movie we rent.

I'll post back on this in 25 years :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment