19 May 2010

Completely Forgettable London 2012 Logo

I am not a graphic designer, not even a good amateur designer, but maybe I serve as a valid critic here because my eyeballs are Average Josephines that like or dislike a visual element the same as any other member of the common muck.

The London 2012 Olympics, to my eyes, is horrible. A series of disjointed shapes that do not, for me, ring a bell. What the hell are they supposed to be? Is this a map of the fairgrounds? A representation of the continents? Not only do I not "get it", but it does not even make a lasting impression on the brain, it is too complex. Too many shapes, with edges too serrated to leave an imprint. Show someone the logo for 10 seconds. Wait a few days and show it to them again -- just the shapes with the words removed this time. I'd bet that person would not be able to tell you what they're looking at.

Besides. It's just FUGLY:

No comments:

Post a Comment